Thursday, August 8, 2013

Introducing the Panasonic GX7 (or as I like to call it, my dream m4/3 cam)



On August 1st Panasonic dropped a bomb on the m4/3 world and announced the Panasonic GX7, the spiritual successor to the Panasonic GX1. In many ways this is the camera that m4/3 shooters have been screaming for since the release of the Olympus Pen E-P1, a rangefinder style camera with ALL the perks. Do I sound like I've already been won over by Panasonic's grand marketing and even bolder claims? You bet your bottom dollar I have. First I will explain my current m4/3 situation and why this new camera is not like the others.

Let's start at the beginning, 3 years ago I attended a camera convention in Toronto, Canada where Olympus gave me (as well as many other associates) an Olympus E-PL1. Up to this point I was a Canon 20D user and Olympus won me over BIG TIME, who could say no to a free camera, am I right?
I used my Olympus E-PL1 a lot, traveled to Japan for a year with it and it was well used when I sold it off upon my return to Canada. Overall I've been VERY happy with the Olympus product. Christmas 2011, I received the E-P3 and it addressed several of the concerns I had with the E-PL1, namely the orientation sensor (I'VE HAD IT WITH MANUAL ROTATION!) and more physical control for setting manipulation. I bought the VF-2 which was a fantastic little addition to the E-P3 and I never minded the additional size it caused, HOWEVER on one of the many hikes (I live in Banff) the VF-2 fell off without me noticing and when I did discover it missing I tore my house apart top to bottom with no luck.
At this point I vowed to get a camera with an integrated viewfinder and when the OM-D was announced it seemed like everything I was waiting for but when I handled it, the feeling wasn't there, it's hard to describe but the E-PL1 and E-P3 just have this feeling to them that the OM-D lacks, it addresses all of my concerns on paper but when I get it into my hands it's just not the same.
The rumours started to fly about the E-P5 and I thought my dreams had come true, I actually stayed up until 3am for the E-P5 announcement only to be disappointed with no integrated viewfinder and the sd card slot still on the bottom with the battery (the latter point I can deal with). It has Wi-Fi but limited funtion, more of an after thought (all I can hope is that it's better than the garbage Eye-Fi product). Not to mention a price point that with the VF-4 is out of my budget realistically.
At this point I was convinced that I was tied to Olympus due to its IBIS system that I wouldn't give up for anything, until the GX7 rumours started to fly.
-"new" 16 megapixel sensor
-first Panasonic camera with in body stabilization (I only know the 2 axis system anyway)
-Pop up flash and tiltable built-in EVF
-tilting lcd
-in-camera CA correction for the 20mm (the lens that stays on my camera 90% of the time).
All signs pointed to "TAKE MY MONEY" and sure enough the official announcement was made August 1st and it DID NOT disappoint, not to mention the plethora additional features I didn't even factor into my decision.
-1/320th on camera flash sync and 1/250th external flash sync
-in camera panoramic shot (without goofy software needed to finish it)
-time lapse shot and stop motion mode
-3 custom modes on the top dial (can't wait to create my own B&W setting)
-extended iso 125
-a very well implemented wi-fi control mode taken from GH3

The list goes on...Needless to say I'm stoked for this camera.

Obviously there aren't any "official" reviews of the camera just yet because the pre-production units out there right now are only running version 0.3 firmware and image quality can change drastically between now and release in September but I'm hopeful that it'll be a huge step forward compared to my dated Olympus E-P3 (still a great camera don't get me wrong). Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available and when I get my hands on it I'll be sure to entertain all questions about the GX7 as well as a full GX7/E-P3 comparison post.

Thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

Monu said...

Thanks for sharing this post ... i am feeling very comfortable to use this camera ,,whenever i go somewhere with my friends i captured a lovely moments and its my lovable memories

Unknown said...

Amazing Post !!
after reading this blog. I would like to add my experience for my friends. I bought a Camera last year . Panasonic's picture is still better overall in my opinion. I guess i made the right choice and got the Panasonic Camera

Unknown said...

WOw such a awesome Panasonic Camera having all new features in it.i am using this its working fine.